Trentino (Trentino-Alto Adige) is the most northern region of Italy. The terrain is entirely mountainous with the pure air of the Dolomites and the high altitude vine growing being the distinguishing features of the wine production. This region is the most important wine producing mountain area in Italy and Europe. The Trentino region was once part of the Tyrol province and was a leading supplier of grapes to the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The combination of the Italian and German borderland culture has led to high quality combinations including Chardonnay and Muller Thurgau.
Over 90% of the vine-covered surface are dedicated to producing DOC wines, one of the highest percentages in Italy. White grapes comprise 68% of production and red grapes 32%. Our friends at the Mackenzie agency invited Betty and me, to attend a Wine and Mountain Wine tasting event, last week, on the wines of Trentino, Italy. We met many of the wine producers from Trentino who operate family vineyards started by their grandfathers and fathers, who were still involved with the wine production. Many of the vintners are women carrying on the family tradition.
Trentodoc is one of the leading wine producers with its “Metodo Classico” sparkling wine of the mountains. I was gifted a bottle of Tridentum at a seminar and luncheon that I attended the day following the wine tasting. The wine was a white, brut, sparkling wine with not to many of the tiny bubbles. It was refreshing, delicious, and paired extremely well with a light antipasto. I consider myself very fortunate to have enjoyed this wine as 90% of the Trentodoc are for Italian markets and the remaining 10% to European and non-European countries. My folks and I would love to have Trentodoc made readily available in the Italian-American wine market.
Some of the other wines we tasted were a 2009 Cantina Rotaliana-Teroldego Rotaliano DOC “Clesurae” that is full bodied, with a dark red color and a taste of black cherry. (Clesurae are the walls, enclosure, that protects a monastery, in this case it is the steep Dolomite Mountains that protect the vineyards.) A 2009 Cesconi-Pletter Trentino DOC Logrein has high acidity with a strong spicy taste and a wind berry taste, it is considered a cousin to Syrah, and it ages excellently up to ten years.
A fantastic white wine we tasted was La-Vis-Maso Franch L’ Altro Manzoni IGT Vigneti delle Dolomiti. This is a 2012 organic wine, very aromatic, and consists of Pino Bianco and Riesling. We enjoyed a Brut Rose Trento DOC, 2009 Maso Martes made from 100% Pinot Nero; red grape wine whose skins are removed after about 12 hours to obtain the correct pink color and taste, and then aged 24 months in barrels. This is a refreshing, sparkling, pink dry organic wine with tiny effervescent bubbles. Basicly, I try to stay away from Pino Grigio, with one exception, Pinot Grigio from Trentino.
We have described the wines from a region of Italy that are not as popular, or as well known, as the wines of other regions. However, popularity and quality is an unequal equation. Therefore, do not sell the wines of Trentino short.
We have yet to pair the wines of Trentino with its food, which we shall do in our next blog. You know, what is Italian wine without Italian food.
Elisabetta Foradori – My First Love, One of Italy’s Best – Trentino, Italy. Elisabetta Foradori, I first posted this article back in 2006. A lot has happened since then. Still love Ms. Foradori wines. It is no secret that I am a big fan of Italian wine and …
Publish Date: 02/13/2013 12:39
Part of the Mezzacorona group, the Rotari brand is dedicated entirely to the production of white and rosé sparkling wines made under the Trento DOC, in Trentino (North East Italy). Nominally the entry level wine of the range, …
Publish Date: 03/16/2013 4:00
It is uniquely different from sparkling wines made outside the region. That being said this week I had a remarkable sparkling wine from Italy’s Trentino region. It was as close to a Champagne I have had in a wine from Italy.
Publish Date: 04/12/2013 19:34
The DOC designation gives consumers the guarantee that the information about the origin and quality of the wine corresponds to the truth. http://www.suedtiro…
Michelle Cherutti-Kowal talks to Fabio Piccoli, Head of Communication and Marketing for the Instituto Trento Doc about plans for the UK market. CWW Trentino …
Emilio Foradori Zierock of the Foradori winery in Trentino, Italy speaks about making white and red wine in amphora. These are exciting wines!
I am the owner of a wine store in Brooklyn and I taste wines daily, offering my impressions and conveying some general wine knowledge in the process. I hope …